THE FERAL HUMAN PROJECT™
Full-time Self-Directed Learning
Now Accepting Students for 2017!
Love It Learn It Live It
to the wild..."
The Feral Human Project™ provides full-time immersion in any aspect of Primitive Skills, Bushcraft, Wilderness Survival, Sustainable Lifeways or Earth-wise Living, AND offers a place to live while you're learning. Now is the time and this is the place to practice and perfect the skills that YOU have been waiting to learn!
How long the program lasts is up to you. You can stay and study for as short as a week or as long as a year. We are looking for people who are passionate about learning and motivated to know these skills in their HANDS and in their HEARTS and ready to incorporate them into their LIVES, not just write about them in their notebooks.
What does the Feral Human Project™ include?
- Top-level, high-quality instruction from Eddie, Julie and various guest instructors, who have dedicated their lives to learning, perfecting and passing down these skills to all who wish to learn.
- A guaranteed spot in any 1-, 2-, or 3-day Practical Primitive workshop. That's over 60 hours of instruction each month!
- One-on-one Mentoring in your chosen skill(s) of study.
- Plenty of woods and open space to practice and perfect your skills.
- Tools and materials, and a shop to work in.
- A bedroom in the Hacienda, access to kitchen, laundry, wifi, parking and all the other great stuff that comes with living and learning full-time here at Practical Primitive!
- You will also have the option of undergoing Feral Human Certification Testing at the end of your program to receive your official Proficient, Advanced, Expert or Instructor level certifications in your chosen areas of study. If your goal is to teach these skills one day your Certifications will offer proof to future employers & students that, unlike so many others, you have the experience, knowledge & skill they need!
This IS the best deal out there!
What makes the Feral Human Project™ different from other "Residential" programs?
- First off, this program includes a Residence! Many programs that call themselves "residential" don't include anywhere for you to live while you study. We provide you a room in the main house that you can live in or, if you are living in a shelter, to safely store your belongings, stay in while you are building and come back to for a hot shower when you need one. You can choose to live as modern or as primitive as you wish, depending on your skills goals. (If you live near by and do not require housing, we also have a non-residential full-time study option.)
- YOU choose the length of your program. We let YOU choose the number of weeks or months to devote to your full-time skills practice. Our program accomodates committments from one week, all the way up to 1 year. Aapplications should be submitted at least two months prior to your requested start date of your program.
- YOU choose your program. The Feral Human Project offers two different program tracks: Primitive Skills & Bushcraft and Sustainable Life-ways & Earthwise Living. If you have a particular passion within either of these programs you also have the option to focus your time and energy on that specific specialty skill set. If you want to dedicate yourself to learning Tracking, Flintknapping, Bow-making, Edible Plants, Primitive Pottery, Wildcrafting, Food Preservation, Low-water Gardening... that's what you will focus on. If you want to learn a broader base of Primitive Skills or Sustainable Living practices, you can stick with that broader base of study. It is our goal to help you develop your passion.
- Want to spend time working on a skill set we haven't listed? Let us know and if we can accomodate it, we'll help you design your own program!
- We accept only a limited number of students in the Feral Human Project at any given time. This ensures you get top quality one-on-one time with your instructors and that you will have every opportunity meet your skills goals for your time in-residence.
Primitive Skills, Bushcraft & Wilderness Survival
For those who practice Primitive, Bushcraft and Wilderness skills the opportunity to spend time LIVING these skills is invaluable. We know that, especially here in the Northeast, finding land on which you can live primitively, or a space that encourages you to immerse yourself fully is difficult to impossible. It is our desire to provide that place for men and women who share our passion for these skills. We want to fan that flame and build a whole new generation of truly knowledgeable Primitive Skills and Bushcraft practitioners who will have the expertise that only comes through immersion and experience, who will be the ones to pass down the true skills borne of trial and failure and wonderous discovery and hilarious stories and passion and heart and knowing; not the pale copies of notebook knowledge that so many are teaching today.
Which ever aspect of these skills most inspires you, that's what we want you to learn. You'll have the time, space and opportunity to build your own shelter and live in it full time. Cook over an open fire. Identify, harvest, prepare, store and preserve your own greens, berries, nuts, seeds, roots and tubers. Track, trap, hunt & fish*. Make bowls, baskets and containers out of wood and grass and bark. Dig and process clay and fire your pottery in a campfire. Learn the uses of the plants and trees that surround you and how you can benefit and help each other. Discover local sources of rock for tools and learn to flintknap arrow and spear points. Process cordage from plant sources, make fire from friction, weave hammocks and nets, tan hides, make tools from stone, bone and antler, build bows and craft arrows, learn the language of the birds and discover the meaning of the concentric rings of nature that surround us always.
If you have a passion for the skills of our ancient ancestors and have been looking for a place to live and learn and practice and perfect Primitive Skills, Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival, the Feral Human Project™ is what you have been waiting for!
* Participants will be required to obtain all licenses and abide by all fish & game laws.
Sustainable Lifeways & Earth-wise Living
It's not hard to see the many ways in which our modern world has gotten out of balance. There is no doubt that we are living in an age of transition and transformation. So many people have become separated from the land, their food, the very Earth which gives us live and sustains us. As the world around you changes, will you be prepared to change with it?
The Feral Human Project™ provides you with a perfect opportunity to learn to live sustainably in an earth-wise manner. During your time here you may choose to learn how to build with locally harvested materials. To tend and steward beneficial wild plants for their nutrititive, medicinal and utilitarian uses. Learn about the importance of beneficial insects and fungi to a healthy eco-system. Open natural springs, brings ponds back to health and create water-catchements for drought. Discover "Companion" gardening and other non-chemical ways in which to deal with garden pests. Build and plant low-water gardens that require fewer natural resources. Practice aquaponics for sustainable and symbiotic food and water sourcing. Understand the impact of invasive species on an eco-system and how to remove and replace them without chemcials, restoring the natural balance of an area. Learn to harvest, store and preserve your food for the coming seasons, both with and without heat or electricity. Make baskets and containers from natural materials gathered off the landscape. Make and use natural plant dyes and all-natural, chemical-free soaps. Identify, harvest, prepare and consume wild edible plants in every season and create your own medicinal preparations, including tinctures, salves, syrups, teas and more from organic and wild-crafted medicinal plants.
A part of the New Jersey Stewardship Forest program, Practical Primitive is continually working toward forest health, sustainability and earth-wise living. If you are feeling called to learn how to live lighter on the land, to live as a part of nature, not apart from nature, then you are who we created this program for!
|Program Length:||One week to a full year — Whatever fits your schedule!|
|Deadlines:||Submit your request at least 1 month prior to your preferred start date if possible. We will notify you as to whether your requested time is available.|
|All Programs Include:||- Guaranteed spot in 1-, 2- & 3-day workshops
- Regular one-on-one mentoring time.
- Parking, shop, tools & a whole lot of woods!
Includes Housing with full access to kitchen, laundry, wifi and parking
|Non-residential Program:|| Programs shorter than one month: $300 per week
Programs 1 month or longer: $750 per month
Feral Human Project Residential Program Application
If you're ready to follow your passion and love, learn and LIVE your skills then we want to hear from you! Please fill out the form below thoughtfully and in it's entirety. If you have ANY questions please call or e-mail Eddie and Julie. We want to hear from you!
The Feral Human Project is currently Accepting Applications for 2017!
|Date of Birth:|
|How long will your Feral Human Project last?|
|When would you like your program to begin?
|Will your program be Residential or Non-Residential?||Residential Non-Residential|
|What is the highest level of education you have completed?|
|Are you currently attending school?
If so, full- or part-time?
|Which Skills Track do you plan to follow?||
Primitive Skills, Bushcraft & Wilderness Survival
Sustainable Lifeways & Earthwise Living
A Combination of Both
|Do you plan to have a specialty skill focus?
If yes, what?
|Do you have any previous training in your chosen skills track?
If yes, what and from where?
|Tell us a little about yourself. Why do you want to be a part of the Feral Human Project and what do you hope to accomplish during your time?|
|Is there anything else we should know?|
Once you are satisfied with your responses hit "Submit".
Please hit this button only once!
Thanks for your application — we will e-mail you to discuss your participation further!